The Ohio State Buckeyes (8-3 overall, 2-3 Big Ten) visit the 14th-ranked Rutgers Scarlet Knights (7-3, 3-3) Saturday for a noon ET tip at the Rutgers Athletic Center. Below, we analyze the Ohio State-Rutgers college basketball betting odds and lines, with picks and predictions.
Rankings courtesy of the Ferris Mowers Coaches Poll powered by USA TODAY Sports.
Ohio State at Rutgers: Betting odds, spread and lines
- Money line: Ohio State +155 (bet $100 to win $155) | Rutgers -190 (bet $190 to win $100)
- Against the spread/ATS: Ohio State +4.5 (-115) | Rutgers -4.5 (-105)
- Over/Under: 139.5. (O: -110 | U: -110)
Ohio State at Rutgers: Three things to know
- Ohio State has alternated wins and losses in its last four games, most recently suffering a 77-60 rout at then-No. 24 Minnesota as a 1.5-point underdog Sunday. The Buckeyes shot 31.1% (19-for-61) for the game, including just 25% (8-for-32) in the second half. Duane Washington Jr. scored a team-high 21 points in the loss. The junior guard’s 14.9 points per game leads three Buckeyes in double figures, while sophomore F E.J. Liddell (13.9 PPG) is the top rebounder (6.4 RPG). Starting PG CJ Walker (8.7 PPG, team-high 4.2 APG) is out indefinitely with torn ligaments in his right hand.
- Rutgers enters on a two-game skid, falling to then-No. 11 Iowa 77-75 at home Jan. 2, and at Michigan State 68-45 Jan 5. The Scarlet Knights covered as 3.5-point underdogs vs. the Hawkeyes, but failed to cover as 3-point dogs at the Spartans. Rutgers opened the season 6-0, but have lost three of the its last four games. Junior G Ron Harper Jr. leads the Scarlet Knights with 21.1 PPG, and junior C Myles Johnson averages a team-best 8.5 RPG.
- The Buckeyes have won their last three vs. the Scarlet Knights, including an 80-68 victory as 3-point home favorites Dec. 23. Washington scored 16 of his game-high 22 points as OSU rallied from a 16-point, second-half deficit with 15 minutes to go. The Buckeyes lead the all-time series 9-3, including 8-3 since the Scarlet Knights joined the Big Ten in 2014-15.
Special College Basketball Betting Promotion!
Bet $1 on any college basketball team money line, WIN an additional $100 (in free bets) if ANY team hits a 3-pointer today. Promotion available in CO, IN, NJ, TN and WV. IA and PA residents, don’t miss BetMGM‘s risk-free, first-bet offer! MI residents, BetMGM is coming to your state soon – register early for special promotion.
Place your legal, online sports bets at BetMGM! Terms and conditions apply. Bet now!
Ohio State at Rutgers: Odds, betting lines, predictions and picks
Rutgers 76, Ohio State 69
Money line (ML)
PASS. The Scarlet Knights take this one, but I’ll lay the points with the spread instead of playing the -190 ML, which is a bit steep.
Against the spread (ATS)
RUTGERS -4.5 (-105) is the STRONGEST PLAY – 1½ times your usual wager. The Buckeyes will be at a big disadvantage with their floor leader out in Walker, who leads the team with 31.5 minutes played per game. They’re also 0-4-1 ATS in their last five road games.
The Scarlet Knights, 15-5-2 ATS in their last 22 home games, have the “motivation factor” working for them as they’ll look to avenge the December loss in Columbus.
ATS: Ohio State 5-5-1 | Rutgers 5-4-1
Back the OVER 139.5 (-110). Rutgers averages 76.5 PPG, while Ohio State averages 76.3 PPG, which should decrease a bit without Walker running the show.
I’m concerned if Ohio State scores enough, but Rutgers shouldn’t have a problem. The Over is 9-3-1 in Scarlet Knights’ last 13 home games.
O/U records: Ohio State 5-6 | Rutgers 6-3-1
|Johnny’s 2020-21 CBK record / Strongest plays||22-20 / 8-12|
|CBK record since Jan. 1 / Strongest plays||7-3 / 3-2|
|2021 overall record (all sports) / Strongest plays||15-8 / 8-4|
|2020 overall record (all sports) / Strongest plays||178-147-4 / 87-61-1|
Additional college sports coverage from USA TODAY Sports Media Group:
Gannett may earn revenue from audience referrals to betting services. Newsrooms are independent of this relationship and there is no influence on news coverage.